Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Calgon, Take me Away

So my son has recently learned that he if stands up behind me, especially while I'm cooking in the kitchen, I'll pick him up. Now mind you, while I'm cooking in the kitchen is not the best time for my son to be doing this, especially when I have hot things sitting on the stove and I'm trying to go from one end of the kitchen to the other.

I'm a schedule nut with my child. This is a good thing and can be a very bad thing at the same time. Good because I know when he's going to be hungry and most importantly, when he's going to be tired. Bad because if I miss a beat by 5 minutes or so, he let's me know. I usually start dinner around 5:30pm because my husband gets home at 6pm. Yeah, I know I don't HAVE to have dinner on the table when he gets home. I like to... I like for him to be able to spend as much time with Little Man A as he possibly can. My having dinner ready lets him spend at least an hour with him before Little Man A goes to bed at 7:30pm.

So back to the kitchen. The other night I'm starting dinner and trying to get Little Man A fed at the same time. He's fine for a few minutes out in the family room which is next to the kitchen, but then he's bored and wants Mom. I try my darndest to find other things for him to play with like a big plastic spoon or plastic measuring cups but he keeps coming back to me. At this point he's also opened all of the kitchen cabinets that yet to have locks on them (they have locks on them now) and have managed to pull out the garbage can which is on a slide in one of the bottom cabinets as well. Not only that, he's found about 10 purple plastic bowls and has them splayed out on the floor as well.

So I'm trying to cook dinner while Little Man A's trying to pull my pants down while standing behind me crying louder and louder. I can barely walk across the kitchen floor without tripping over a damn purple bowl or a plastic spoon.

As soon as my husband walks through the door, it's "Take him before I kill me" look. I plop Little Man A in front of my husband and just blurt out, "You have no idea what's been going on for the past 5 minutes." He replies, "You don't know what kind of day I've had either." I simply turn around and finish cooking dinner.

By the way, dinner was good .... and so was the wine! And from now on, Little Man A is going in the play yard while mom cooks dinner.

3 comments:

Jude said...

Good blog! Little Man A a lucky littel boy!

AmyBow said...

I can totally relate to this. Not only do I also like to have dinner ready when my husband gets home, but my daughter is also a little kitchen nudnick.

She has learned to say "up" and follows me around the kitchen yelling it out.

And if I don't pick her up, she instead pulls everything off of the kitchen chair (yes, we use them for storage apparently) and attempts to drag it over to me at the stove so I will pick her up and put her on it.

Wenderina said...

You're totally making your mark with these posts - love them. Had lunch with amybow today who told me she found you and didn't even know you were my niece! too funny!