Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Just do it already

So I finally did it. I signed up for my first 5K. I still can't believe I'm turning into a runner. Although I have no desire to be an avid runner, it seems as though its happening whether I like it or not. Because I've actually signed up for two 5K's, both in May.

When I first started my new diet/exercise regime after the first of the year, a dear friend of mine suggested I sign up and run a 5K. Thinking what the hell, I never thought I would actually follow through with it. I mean, I had full intention of doing that, but sometimes it just doesn't happen for one reason or another.

Well, to my surprise I've kept up with the exercise. Along the way, I turned to another friend for running advice. She was able to give me a great 5K plan that gave me day to day instructions on how to go from couch potato to 5K runner in 8 weeks. Not only have I been able to complete a 5K run without stopping in 37 minutes, along the way I've lost 7 pounds (a safe amount over the course of 8 weeks, but I would have liked more) and 2 inches total. All within 8 weeks.

Sometimes when I think about it, this totally baffles my mind. I mean, I'm running 3.18 miles without stopping and I want to go faster and longer. My ultimate goal: To run the 5 K in 30 minutes or less.

And I'm going to do it.

Signing up for the 5K was by far the BEST advice my friend has ever given me. Not only because I just feel good to just run sometimes, I've had something else to focus on rather than just the weight loss. I know I am gaining muscle and losing fat which is why the scale is not as low I wish it would be, but I also know it will get there. Also, I feel as though I am setting a good example for my children. That your health, both physical and mental, is extremely important. You can't take care of others if you don't take care of yourself first.

So stay tuned. March should be fun with interval training so I can reach my goal. Who knows? Maybe before the end of the year, I'll be running a 10K. Maybe.


2 comments:

Wenderina said...

Awesome J. I'm so proud of your progress and envious of your focus. Great work.

Lori said...

Hmm, running even when no one is chasing you? You've clearly lost your mind!

Just kidding. I'm really proud of you! Way to go!